Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 14- Romans 12:2-13

God has given each person their individual gifts and it's a good idea for each of us to grow more in those gifts. I remember being at CAP and there were so many places to serve there, so it was just a matter of finding the place where you would do the best. I had a few conversations with other volunteers about whether it was a good idea to continue serving in something that wasn't your strength. I think we came to the conclusion that it's great to try new things, but you don't have to continue doing something once you've established that it's not what you're gifted at.

For example, when I did housing for 1 week last summer, I discovered that it's not something I would be able to do full-time. I had fun during that week and I learned a lot, but I'm aware that it probably took me 3 times as long to do anything and I had to re-do a lot of things more often than that. Working with kids was something that I was good at and I was able to do full-time. Yes, it was exhausting and challenging, but in a good way that was using my strengths.

My point is that if everyone knew what they were good at and made sure that they were doing those things well, then amazing things could be done in this world.

Question: Name a time when you continued to do something that you knew you weren't good at because you felt you should? What is something that you know you're good at that will also allow you to grow?

No comments: