Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 5- Proverbs 4:20-27

This passage of scripture includes Proverbs 4:23, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." You know... the one that many Christians like to use when warning single people not to open up too quickly to the opposite sex because they might end up getting hurt. When I read all of this together, though, it put into perspective what the Father's wise advice is. I had heard someone say before that you should guard the good things in your life as well. They were talking about remembering the good, pure things that have happened in your life and keeping them with you when you're dealing with issues at the present time.

One example from my own life was when I was 14 years old and at Magic Mountain on a youth group trip. I remember looking up at Colossus while we were walking back from the parking lot and thinking that nothing in this life is going to matter when it's all said and done. All that will matter in the end is that I've known Jesus and have told people about Him in order for them to know Him.

It's been over half my life since that thought crossed my mind, but it's also been one that I've kept close to my heart because I know that it was from God. Remembering that experience has helped when times were tough. Like the 2 month time period when one of my friends passed away, I got an ear infection that left me deaf for about a week, and I got the chicken pox. Remembering the Colossus experience during times like that made me more aware of God showing His love to me.

Question: What is a good thing that has happened to you that you need to keep close to your heart?

No comments: