Thursday, September 4, 2008

Freedom

We talked a lot at Tuesday night's bible study, so this is kind of a continuation of the last blog. Hilary brought up the amazing question of, "What does freedom in Christ look like in a person's life?" Carrie's response was that we experience freedom when we're truly living in the moment, being aware of God's presence, and not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. That statement was absolutely true, so I wanted to try and remember the times that has happened to me...

~ The majority of the week at RFKC was like that this year. I was almost always completely in the moment. Not thinking about what was going on at home, not thinking about what I'm going to do for a job or missions. Just spending time with the girls in cabin 17 and enjoying their company. There was Shaneia and her AMAZING sense of rhythm/hip hop skills. Kristin, Justine, and I were a great team as counselors because we were able to back each other up when it came to following through on any rules for the girls and we had so much fun as a group. Jennifer would take my arm whenever we were walking anywhere and it was so cute because I didn't think of her as a particularly clingy child when I first met her. Jennifer being cuddled up next to me during the graduation ceremony and I just kept crying because I was thinking, "This is what life is about. God has placed us in each other's lives this week for a reason, she has stolen my heart, and I'm going to miss her so much when this week is over." Crying pretty much every morning when people would talk about the breakthroughs that happen with some of the campers each year. Getting to be at the same table as "Quickfeet Blake" for all of the meals. He charmed the socks off of me from the very beginning. After our first lunch, he said, "I don't usually do this when I first meet a person, but...," then he went to give me a hug and I just about died from trying to stifle my laughter.

~ Going to Blaine, Kentucky and not wanting to leave because of the people that I met on that trip. We had so much fun, even though there were 11 of us in a 2 bedroom apartment and the bathroom door didn't close all the way unless you stuck a shoe underneath it. My favorite memory was watching the kids start a bible study during their free time. They just had a craving to read more of the bible and they did that when they could have been playing cards or hiking or playing music.

~ Any time spent with my family, whether it's going to the Wards' to watch "Psych" and play "Rock Band" or going out to lunch with the 'rents and the Fazakerleys.

~ Sitting in the backyard while reading a book, writing in my journal, or playing Sudoku.

~ Having the perfect summer day, which includes going to the beach with friends, playing in the waves, getting frozen yogurt, and having a barbecue.

~ When my students knew the routine and followed it without needing to be reminded of what to do next.

~ Joking around with coworkers at the Beach Pit while eating ice cream and blueberry cornbread.

~ Taking long walks while talking with friends.

~ Holding Alethea while she's asleep and seeing how peaceful a baby can be. Seeing her smile and having fun when she's awake.

The common thread among the majority of these things is that they are about having relationships with people and being aware of God's presence. I need to be better at living my life that way!

No comments: