Friday, June 18, 2010

Sweet Victory!

Last night, Emmy and I watched the Lakers win the NBA Finals for the 2nd year in a row and it was glorious. The reason I'm writing this, though, is because of the random events surrounding the game...

I texted her to see if she wanted to watch the game at Applebee's because they have a sweet ice cream cookie sandwich and it would be nice to watch it with a lot of people around. I also knew that they'd be playing the game there because Kim and Jenny had been kind enough to watch it with me when they came to visit a couple of weeks ago. She wrote back and said that she'd rather watch it in the Student Center at Regent in order to keep from spending money. I was about 14% disappointed because I figured that no one else would be watching the game there, but I was 86% okay with it because it meant that I wouldn't be spending money, either.


I got to the Student Center at exactly 9pm and there was a man who was probably in his mid-late 50's who had the TV on. I was worried for a second that he wasn't watching the game and asked, "You're going to be watching the game, right?" (thinking back, it's not like he seemed the SYTYCD type.) He said that he was going to be watching the game, then asked if I was rooting for the Celtics or Lakers. I told him that I was wanting the Lakers to win because I'm from California and he immediately told me that he was a Celtics fan. He was quite the talker and I started to think that it was going to be a rough night.


During the 3rd and 4th quarters, he started coaching the Celtics from his seat on the couch at Regent. Some lines yelled at the TV by him:
- "You need to get out there and coach, Doc! They're tired and they need someone to coach them right now!"
- "Don't pass it to Ray Allen! He's ice cold and missing everything!"
- "See! They're all afraid to shoot and that's why they're not winning!"


Emily texted me at one point during all of this to say, "this guy miiiight drive me nuts." I laughed and made sure not to read that aloud (thank you, Miss Kim, for teaching me that last year).

During the span of the game, a few other people showed up. There were 2 cops, Tyrone and Dave. Tyrone is a Lakers fan and was excited to watch for awhile. Dave doesn't care about basketball, but he was nice enough to bring candy back for us from someone's office. Then, Mike (another Lakers fan) came in with a pizza from Little Caesar's and shared it with us. He said to just make sure to leave 2 slices for him. After that, he insisted on getting waters for us from somewhere, which was very kind. Jeff and Buster also got there at some point during the game and I think the Celtics fan was kind of annoyed by Buster. That, of course, made Buster want to be near him during the rest of the game. The night ended up being more eventful than expected, we got free food, we met new people, and the Lakers won!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I watched the game from my aunt's couch. I wished the Celtics would've won. The end.

Jenna said...

I'm so proud of you for watching the game and I'm ignoring your Celtics comment.

Timothy said...

I wish I could have been there. Buster and I would have doubled up on the Celtic fan.