Saturday, June 5, 2010

Goals

I found an old journal entry from 10/31/2001 entitled, "Things I Want To Do In My Life." I wrote down the goals that I had for my life and kind of forgot about it after that... on another note, I think it also shows my love of Halloween since I spent that evening writing in my journal, instead of trick-or-treating or hanging out with friends. Here's what I wrote and here's what has actually happened in the past 9 years:


Goal: Take a road trip by myself.
Reality: I've taken quite a few road trips by myself now. The longest one being from California to Kentucky with stops in Tuscon, AZ; Midland, TX; Dallas, TX; and middle of nowhere, AR. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to stop at places like Graceland and the world's biggest ball of twine.

Goal: Write a book about the people that I talked to on my road trip.
Reality: I didn't do it and I should have when I had the opportunity.

Goal: Take lessons of some kind (I'm thinking piano, hip hop, karate, or ballet).
Reality: I took a hip hop class and plan to again. I got a piano for my 25th birthday and played it almost every day for 3 years until moving to Kentucky.

Goal: Take a cruise to a tropical island.
Reality: I took a cruise to Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada with Andrea.

Goal: Be a camp counselor at Hume Lake for an entire summer.
Reality: I was a camp counselor for 1 week per summer at Royal Family Kids' Camp for 4 years and 1 week at Camp Shawnee last year.

Goal: Become a guidance counselor for my career.
Reality: Became a special ed. teacher for my career and may go back to it eventually.

Goal: Become a missionary in a foreign country for 1 summer (0r maybe longer).
Reality: Went to Haiti for 3 weeks and held babies. Volunteered in Kentucky for one amazingly magical year.

Goal: Have a really cute dog.
Reality: I have to settle for a cute nephew-puppy until I have the space for my own dog.

Goal: Have season tickets for the Lakers.
Reality: I apparently thought I was going to be independently wealthy when I was 21... I'm okay with watching them win the Finals on TV every year, though.

Goal: Find the man of my dreams and marry him.
Reality: I know that will happen.

Goal: Possibly being a foster mother.
Reality: I came very close, but chickened out when I thought about how much responsibility it was. It was also at the time when I realized that I needed to take time to grieve leaving Kentucky and volunteering.

Goal: Volunteer at a hospital and play games with the kids who are sick.
Reality: This didn't happen, but I was Cameron's CASA for 4 years and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Goal: Be a sponsor in a youth group and be able to join them for any of their activities.
Reality: I've helped out with youth group activities at Essential, but not to the extent that I could.

Goal: Live in a nice place with a swimming pool.
Reality: I've lived in 4 places with them.

I think everyone should make a list of their goals occasionally because it's really fun to look back and see what's actually happened.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i love that your goals "morphed", met or will happen... and i agree we should all have lists and goals that we actually write down, 'cuz it's a blast to see what God does with our ideas and how He turns them into His ideas... love you... xoxo

emily grace [long distance lobsters] said...

holy crap. that is impressive, sissy!

Mikkele Suzanne said...

i fully support this. i love making goals!!