Sunday, October 12, 2008

Wherever I go, there I am.

I've been in Kentucky for almost 2 weeks now and I'm beginning to get adjusted to the fact that this is my new life. There are still a lot of things that need to happen before it feels like home, but the reality of the fact that this is going to be my life for awhile is setting in. I'm also beginning to see that there are certain things about my temperament and the way that I live my life that are probably going to be unchanging, no matter where I'm living or who I'm living with.

First of all, I'm still an introvert. Obviously that will never change because it's part of my temperament and my disposition has been pretty much the same since the day I was born (or at least that's what people have told me). I definitely love to be around people and I LOVE to get to know about their lives, but I forget that when I'm tired or when I've been around people a lot. I had my first full week of volunteering with the 3-4 year olds who are adorable AND exhausting, which made it difficult for me to interact with my housemates at the end of each day. All I wanted was a long nap and time spent by myself after each day was over.

Another thing that hasn't changed is my love of walking in beautiful places while listening to my ipod. I've been walking around here, but I wasn't finding any places where I could walk long distances safely (i.e. the only one where I could walk for a long time was on the side of the highway). I found a road this morning that's near our house and it just kept going. It was absolutely gorgeous and had a ton of trees, open fields, and even a few horses off to the side. Plus, the sun was shining on all of it perfectly. It was equally beautiful to what I would see while walking at the beach.

I spent a lot of Saturday by myself because I was so wiped out from the week. All I wanted to do was find a nice place to sit outside and read/write, which has always been my idea of the perfect weekend. I went to church on Saturday night with Jenny (one of my housemates), then we went to Panera. It was fun to get to know more about her and what her life has been like. I've found that I still love broccoli cheddar soup, Saturday night church, and quality conversations with people.

Some things that are changing are that I'm going to cook for our house on Wednesday night and that will be happening once every 2-3 weeks. It should be interesting since I barely even cook for myself. I'll be leading devotions for them on Wednesday night, too, and that's something that I haven't done on a regular basis for anyone. I'm also more willing to meet more people right now. I went to another one of the volunteer houses with my housemates on Friday night and felt fine while I was meeting the people who live there.

All of this is a fascinating experience and I'm looking forward (kind of) to growing/being challenged. I'm also curious to find out what will remain the same once my time here is finished.

No comments: