Friday, October 16, 2009

More awkward conversations

Here are a couple more conversations that I heard or (unfortunately) participated in at Disaster Relief last week:

Wilson, the 85 year old, comes up to me on the first day and looks at my hoop earrings.

Wilson: Where are your studs?
Jenna: I decided to wear the hoops today.
Wilson (who has been a nurse for forever, which I didn't know yet): I couldn't believe the things that girls had pierced when they came into the hospital... the nose, the tongue, even the (enter 5 letter word for a private part that begins with "L").
Jenna:... oh (I didn't know what to say, I was so grossed out by this man saying that word by sentence 2 after having met him).

Next, we were on a work site with the people from Americorps who range in age from 18-24. Dee, who volunteers with Habitat for Humanity, is probably in her mid-40's to early-50's. She's built pretty strong, like a softball player, and was wearing a shirt with the sleeves cut off one day. One of the Americorps guys, Danny, age 24, and most likely an Eagle Scout at some point in time was talking to her. This is what I witnessed:

Danny (while looking at her arms): You better get to the vet.
Dee: Why?
Danny: Because those puppies are sick.

Ick.

No comments: