Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cute Kid Story from the East Side

Last week, I was at a going away party for Shannon at the Johnson House. Most of the volunteers from the east side were there, but Shannon had also put in a special request to Harold (their volunteer manager) and asked him to bring his 2 daughters, Lena and Makenzie.

This particular story is about Makenzie and Nick (another volunteer), so I need to describe them a little bit. Makenzie's 6 years old and she has cerebral palsy. I've only met her a few times, but I've seen that she has a deep love for other people and a strength that most don't possess during their entire lives, much less by the time they're six. I first met her at Camp Caleb a couple of months ago when I was over at her table and catching up with Harold. Makenzie asked, "Do you want to go outside and play tag with me on the porch?" I, of course, told her that I would because she's absolutely adorable, then we went outside and played for about an hour or so.

Nick is 24, probably 6'5" or so, and he's built like a football player. He has pretty blue eyes and a beard that he probably hasn't shaved in 2 months. He looks like a mountain man when you first meet him, but then you talk to him and realize he's more of the gentle giant type.

I think that's enough back story, so here's the conversation that occurred between Gina (another volunteer) and Makenzie when she arrived for Shannon's party.

Makenzie: Do you know where that guy from the other day is?
Gina: Which guy? Do you remember what he looked like?
Makenzie: A prince.

Apparently, Makenzie has a crush now... it starts so young :).

No comments: